Lincoln, CA is an amazing place to live. It is located in the middle of nature and just a short drive to Roseville and Sacramento. Because Lincoln is surrounded by nature it means living around various pests and critters. This article covers the three most common pests we deal with when doing pest control in Lincoln: Ants, wasps, and mice. We will cover the most common species along with their habits and also the tips and tricks to keep them out of your home.
Lincoln, CA: A great place to live
Located approximately 20 minutes northwest of I80 using Highway 65, and about 15 minutes outside of Roseville, the town of Lincoln was first started by the Sacramento Valley Railroad in 1859. The railroad left Lincoln a few short years later, Luckily the area’s fruitful land was perfect for farming and raising livestock. Lincoln’s land was so productive that J. Parker Whitney became the richest man in Placer County through ranching and farming. Lincoln’s versatile land also contained coal and high-grade clay which led even further to its development.
As more people moved to Roseville because of the beautiful northern California weather, Lincoln began to grow rapidly in the early 2000’s into the beautiful city it is now: A mixture of the historic town of Lincoln, new development, and beautiful nature.
Lincoln’s Common Pests
The three most common pests we find in Lincoln are Ants, wasps, and mice. Not surprising considering the vast amount of nature and wildlife in Lincoln. To these pests, your home is the perfect living place. Warm and dry in the winter, cool in the summer, and full of food and water. If you have found any of these pests in your home, they may have already moved in and you need pest control.
Odorous House Ants
Odorous house ants are the little small black to dark brown ants that give off a foul odor when you crush them. They are very common in the Lincoln area and will often try to move into your home. They are attracted to just about any type of food they can find, but will also enter your home when there is a lack of water outside. Because they reproduce so quickly they can be quite difficult to get rid off. While not dangerous to humans, they can eat away at your home causing damage.
Pest Control Tips
Because of their size, odorous house ants can be difficult to detect and can fit through even the smallest holes. You may not realize they have entered your home until your find hundreds of them in your kitchen all of a sudden. The following tips will help keep them out of your home.
- Keep vegetation, debris, and tree branches away from your home
- Coat lines attached to your home in vaseline or “tangle foot”. You can find more information here: Stop ants from entering your home.
- Fill any cracks around doors and windows with silicone or foam.
- Using a pest control company or DIY, keep a layer of spray on your house to eliminate them before they can enter.
- Try to eliminate any issues as soon as you notice them. Waiting will allow them to set up a nest in your home and increase their numbers.
The paper wasp is a very common in Lincoln. Paper wasps are yellow with black stripes and elongated bodies and get their name from the “paper mache” nests they make. While generally not aggressive, they will attack when they feel their nest is threatened and can deliver a painful sting. The eaves of your home provide a perfect nesting place for paper wasps.
- Using a pest control company or DIY, keep a layer of spray on the eaves of your home. (This may be difficult for large, two story homes. We use a power sprayer to make sure your whole home is protected.
- Make sure that cracks are filled and that vents are covered with screen when possible.
- Have nests removed as soon as possible
- Remove objects around your home that may allow paper wasps to nest.
Mice exist pretty much everywhere and Lincon is no exception. While their small size allows them to enter even small holes, they can create big damage and can carry various diseases. Mice can often be noticed by their fecal droppings or by being heard before they will ever be seen. As with the previous two pests, prevention is the ideal solution.
- Fill all holes and cracks with silicone or foam
- Fill spaces around pipes using steel wool. (Mice have strong teeth, but they hate steel wool).
- Remove debris and vegetation around home to remove cover and possible nesting areas
- Keep food sealed and garbage in sealable cans. Don’t leave out food.
- Once you realize you have mice, have them removed as soon as possible.
The beautiful weather and living with nature are a big part of what makes Lincoln such a great place to give. While pests can be a problem, taking the above steps will give you an advantage to keeping them out of your home. The two key points to remember are prevention and early action once your find a problem.
Gold Miner Pest Control is a family owned and operated company that has been doing business in the foothills for over 20 years. We would love to help you keep your home pest free. Please get in contact with us here: Contact US.
Keep Your Home Pest Free
Let Gold Miner Pest Control take care of all of your pest problems.