Auburn, Grass Valley, Colfax, Roseville, Lincoln, and all the rest of the foothills. Yes, cockroaches are pretty much everywhere. They are extremely resilient and can increase their numbers at an incredible speed. Below are some interesting (and sometimes gross) facts about roaches. As an insect they are pretty amazing, but as a pest, you definitely don’t want to share your home with them.
1. Cockroaches carry diseases and allergens
Cockroaches are known to carry as many as 33 kinds of bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella species, as well as different types of parasitic worms. In addition, they also carry a number of pathogens that can cause allergies and asthma. They don’t just infest your food and homes, they can potentially make you very sick.
2. Cockroaches like small spaces
A small German cockroach can fit into a crack as thin as a dime. They actually prefer small spaces where they are being touched on all sides. This means that even the smallest cracks in your home are potential pathways for them. The spray that Gold Miner Pest Control uses contains a residual that protects your home even after the service day.
3. They can eat almost anything.
Paper, glue, hair, leather…..Yes, just about anything. Even more impressive is that they can live without food for up to six weeks. Living without food for a long period of time also allows them to do this next impressive (disgusting) trick.
4. Cockroaches can live without their heads for weeks.
5. Cockroaches lay their eggs is sacs
These egg sacs can carry as many as 40 eggs and a female can lay several sacs over her lifetime.
- Cockroaches– Why cockroaches are so difficult to get rid of
- Roach Infestation– What a roach infestation looks like
- Auburn Pest Control– Getting the most from your service
- Auburn Pest Control– How to identify a Black Widow Spider.
- Grass valley Pest Control– Tips on keeping your home pest free